Monday, March 5, 2012

March Newsletter

From Laura, 13 … I couldn’t think of much to say this month, so I thought I would share a couple of encouraging passages I read. 

1)      “In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid.  What can man do to me?”  Psalm 56:11

2)      “Behold, I am going to send an angel before you to guard you along the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared.”  Exodus 23:20

In the latter verse it was actually talking about the Israelites entering the Promised Land, but it seemed so applicable to Christians on their way to heaven.

From Becca, 15 … We listened to a lecture about sanctification recently.  The speaker said that some people think sanctification is up to them to do, while others think they can sit back and relax in their sin while God sanctifies them.  I thought about how hard it is sometimes to have a balance between those two positions.  We must struggle against the sin in our lives, while always remembering that God is doing the work.

From Seth, 19 … This week I got a call from a land surveyor who might hire me to work for him over the summer.  ‘Twill be interesting to see what comes of the contact.

The other day I was reading something by John Piper about how our ultimate confidence in the Bible doesn’t stem from historical studies and scholarly analysis (which can be important), but from the self-authenticating glory of Jesus revealed in the gospel, the good news that Christ died for our sins and rose again from the dead.

From Anna, 21 … I have a new adventure in the works.  After five or six key conversations and events, a friend of mine and I ended up interviewing for a part-time position caring for a little boy named Seth with special needs.  Seth is seven years old, and was adopted last summer.  He is profoundly deaf, has some vision loss, is severely delayed developmentally, and probably has some cognitive limitations.  This is a homeschooling family with several other children, so they were looking for someone who could come four afternoons a week to watch Seth so that his mother could do schoolwork with the other children.

My friend and I both saw this situation as an opportunity to serve, learn, and grow.  We both also wanted to maintain a certain amount of flexibility, so sharing the position made a lot of sense for us.  We can trade days when necessary, or cover for each other if one of us is out of town.

Our initial interview was with Seth’s mother, and she has given her approval.  We will technically be working for a home care agency, though, so now we need to begin the application process with the agency.  At this point the process is more of a formality, but it needs to be completed, so it will probably be a couple of weeks before we actually start working.

There are a lot of unknowns in this situation—I don’t think that even Seth’s mother knows exactly what we’ll be doing—but I’m excited about what God has done to bring this about and how He will use this opportunity.

From John, Megan,and baby-on-the-way … (by Megan) This past month has had John and me realizing how close James' arrival is!  We are 2 weeks from the due date (March 15) and have been getting things together and ready.

Our guest bathroom is coming along nicely!  John just recently did the texture, and now we are trying to decide if we should go ahead and paint, or get the toilet set ...  Not knowing if I'll be going early, on time, or late, it's all just a guessing game now. J  View our blog to see some updates and pictures.

Everything for the birth is ready and set aside in our room under the crib.  We even have a contraction timer on our phones!  This past week I have been having quite a bit of contractions so we are hoping it'll be soon so we can meet our little boy!

John's work is going well.  He could use some more work, but we are trusting God to provide the work at the right time.  He hasn't failed us thus far, and we know He won't.  He is always faithful to provide.

From Ray, Katie, Peter, Samuel, and baby-on-the-way (by Katie) We have been challenged lately with illness.  We haven't had anything serious, thankfully, but we are more than ready to be done with the series of coughs, runny noses, fevers, tummy aches, and congestion that have plagued us for the past few weeks.  Times like this make us extra thankful for our family's overall good health.

Ray has been busy working with several home buyers lately.  He's excited to have three closings scheduled for March after several months with none at all.  It's certainly feast or famine in this business!

From Judith … My entry this month is of the assortment variety – disconnected, in other words.

It still doesn’t seem real that John will soon be a father.  I think I just need to see John holding his son and also see the three of them going about together with the baby on the outside of Megan.  Truly I am very excited that we will soon meet this new little grandchild.

When we went to a park to play games with friends for Laura’s birthday last month, I was struck by how different it was from long ago when we mostly had little children who just wanted to slide, swing, and play in the sand.

The heat of Houston is just around the corner.  I use several types of fans in my life these days and wonder how anyone survives without them.

I had a funny thought the other day.  I pondered whether or not my wardrobe, without any additions, would last me the rest of my life.  I’m rather attracted to the idea of using up or giving away all my worldly goods before I die.  (By the way, I’m feeling just fine.)

From Gerald … Here comes another transition in our family.  Seth’s schedule is quite full now, so he is no longer mowing our lawn.  So, today I plan to teach the girls how to mow, both with the riding and hand mowers.  Becca says it will be good preparation for learning to drive a car.  We will see how that goes. 

With love from the Pedersen clan

No comments:

Post a Comment