Earlier, Gerald had a somewhat urgent need for full access to the wall behind the kitchenette soffit and sink/cabinet/counter in order to reconfigure the plumbing. I did most of that removal, so I was fairly confident of this next project.
The upper cabinets and floor had been removed during our initial house remodeling. Everything else was taken out during this recent phase. Before:
On day one I took off the drywall on one side, on day two I did the same on the other side, and on day three I took out the studs. I was glad I was able to get the studs out intact so they will be more useful for Gerald to reuse. Anna helped me by removing the wiring in the wall before I removed the studs.
Down to the studs.
No more wall!
From the other side:
Standing in the kitchenette looking out.
Further work in that area, which will require the expertise of others, is a long way down on the list, but this was enormously helpful for getting a “feel” for the new open space created. We do plan to rebuild the kitchenette someday. Even in its very rough condition, the apartment seems more inviting to me.