Friday, January 7, 2011

Caterpillars to Butterflies

I received a butterfly house for a present recently.  I ordered these caterpillars and they came in the mail.  I took a picture of them every day to show their remarkable growth.




When they were about this big they crawled to the top of their containers and hung upside down.  A chrysalis formed around each of them.
When they had all done that, I transfered them to their butterfly house. 
About 11 days later I saw a butterfly sitting there!  It was very exciting.  Here is a photo of one in the process of emerging.
A brand new butterfly.

It has been almost a week since they hatched and they are fluttering about much more now.  I am feeding them sugar water and I have seen them unroll their proboscises and drink.


Here is Seth holding one.
They are very photogenic.
I have very much enjoyed watching the growth and transformation of these amazing animals.  At first they were gross squishy gluttonous wormies, but they were suddenly transformed into one of the most beautiful and delicate creatures.  It reminds me of the transformation God works on the sinner's heart.  I'm glad God created animals like this. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks like it was a lot of fun! It must have been a wonderful experience! They where very ugly, but now they are absolutely beautiful!
    How many butterflies do you have now?

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! Those are Lady Painted Butterflies right? We've raised those exact same butterflies too! (that arrived in the the exact same containers that we put in the exact same butterfly pavilion, and yes, we noticed how photogenic they were too!) :) We've raised several batches now, it's something we look forward to every year, now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for commenting, Caley! I have ten butterflies now; all of them have hatched.

    Emily, they are painted lady butterflies! Did your butterflies lay eggs or did you buy new ones?

    Love,Becca

    ReplyDelete